Project 2 Week ?/4: Post-break re-planning

GOAL: Doing as much of the course as I can!

Once again, I’ve hit a change of plans. This time it has nothing to do with my own overestimation of what I can accomplish! Instead, it’s due to my schedule changing rather dramatically since social distancing began. Since my classes are primarily asynchronous now, I’ve switched my hours to better suit my work needs, which means that I distributed my 5 tech learning studio hours over each weekday, one hour per day. There’s the added benefit of this format being very suitable for my third project. More on that in a different post! Here, I just want to talk about working on Project 2.

Long story short, I’m 50/50 on if I’ll finish the LinkedIn Learning course, and I likely won’t apply it to my project. I do plan on applying it sometime, though, just not within the scope of this project. For now, I’m doing as much of the course as I can.

I’m jumping back into the course after a 2 week break due to extended spring break. Trying to get back into learning a technology feels very similar to the struggle of getting started working on my personal projects, like some of my dashboards. It’s challenging to get back into the flow of what I was learning when so much of these lessons are dependent on what I was doing just before, in the same way that picking up personal projects means trying to jump back into a previous train of thought. What I have for this course that I don’t usually have, though, are my previous blog posts! Re-reading my posts was really helpful to remind me of the bigger NLP picture and where I was 2 weeks ago. This experience serves as a good motivator to start taking notes while working on personal projects. In fact, there are many areas of my personal professional development that I’d like to better document like this. Maybe keeping up this blog (or a similar one) for when I work on new dashboards would be good? Also, using Trello boards for individual projects could similarly help.

I worked through a couple chapters of the course and honestly, once I got going it was engaging. Plus, I figured out what the lambda part of the function is for by seeing it used a couple times (it’s just applying a function to all rows of a column of the dataset to output another list). I finished learning about lemmatizing and stemming and I’m already considering how I can apply these to both my personal projects and a work project. Lemmatizing seems well-suited to a sizeable but manageable amount of text data, which applies to 2 current projects. In one, I manually wrote code to look for variations on specific words. Now I know I can simplify that code and easily apply it broadly using what I learned in just one of the chapters.

Tomorrow, I’ll wrap up what I can of the course and reflect on Project 1 and Project 2.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s